POWER Engineers Inc. is seeking a Bid Manager and Estimator as part of our Marketing and Proposal Development team. This position will be responsible for working with technical teams to develop initial budgetary estimates and scoping documents for engineering and design projects in the food and beverage and manufacturing industries. This role will work closely with division leadership across various business practices to create documents that are accurate to the labor hours required for our technical teams; but are also sensitive to individual client needs and preferences.
This role bridges our sales and technical teams, working closely with individuals across the organization. Ideal candidates will be inquisitive with strong communication skills, and an interest in learning more about our division’s business model. The right individual will be someone who has a forward-looking mindset and an interest in helping grow this program/service and mentor others. A well-rounded, working knowledge of engineering disciplines, multidisciplinary A/E/C projects, and the manufacturing industry will be a benefit in this role.
Successful applicants will also display an interest in data analysis and continuous improvement. Gathering and analyzing data on estimates vs. final budgets vs. project actuals are important aspects of this role. This position will use the results of that analysis to build a database that can be leveraged for future proposal efforts. Self-motivation, creativity, and initiative are necessary traits in a successful candidate.
The successful applicant will have the flexibility to work remotely from a mutually acceptable location, hybrid, or in the office.
Some business development activities (site visits, scoping calls) and direct interaction with clients are expected in this role.
Roles and Responsibilities
Successful candidates should have the ability to complete or learn the following responsibilities:
- Serve as part the proposal team, supporting POWER’s business development activities.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of POWER’s discipline capabilities.
- Build relationships with seller-doers/pursuit champions and develop a thorough understanding of project opportunities, client preferences, etc.
- Work with business development, project managers, and clients to develop appropriate scopes of work for engineering and design projects, based on meetings, site-visits, RFP documents, etc.
- Define scope on a project including all engineering disciplines and relay that scope to internal team members. Develop opportunity summaries defining/describing potential projects.
- Identify and evaluate potential project risk factors with proposal team; ensure risks are identified/addressed within the proposal.
- Develop engineering estimates for proposed tasks and deliverables based on scope of work (hours, fee, etc.).
- Develop initial project milestone schedule.
- Collaborate with design teams and division leadership (business development, project and program managers, discipline leads and department managers) and present scope, budget in proposal development meetings.
- Present progress and program status updates to senior division leadership on a quarterly or semi-annual basis.
- Perform statistical data analysis of project estimates vs. actual costs.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a task/deliverable cost database, used to refine/guide proposal estimates.
- Support continuous improvement of the proposal and budgeting process.
- Continue your own professional development, both in technical and business operations.
- Serve as a strong, credible ambassador for POWER and our team both internally and in front of clients.
- Must be able to work with both technical and non-technical writers to support proposal development.
- 8-14 years of related engineering and/or consulting experience
- Associate degree in architecture, engineering, construction management, or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly and effectively learn and present complex information
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and budgeting tools
- Ability to travel 10-15%
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; high attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in architecture, engineering, construction management, or related field
- Experience providing engineering, consulting, project management, or construction services to clients in the food and beverage, consumer products, heavy industry, chemical production, or general manufacturing industries
- Capital project estimating experience
- Familiarity with project scheduling techniques and processes
- Project management experience
- Accounting or budget management experience
At POWER Engineers, you can have a rewarding career on every level. Our philosophy is simple: Do Good. Have Fun. Build Success.
You’ll work on fun and challenging projects and initiatives. You’ll have the chance to make a positive impact on society and the environment. And you’ll find the support, coaching and training it takes to advance your career.
Since we’re employee-owned, we get to make POWER a great place to work. That includes providing competitive compensation, professional development, and a full benefits package:
- Paid Holidays
- Vacation/Paid Sick Leave
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Telehealth Benefit covers all providers
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- New Dads and Moms Benefit program
- Fertility Benefits
- Gender-affirming care
POWER is a fun engineering firm. That might seem contradictory to some, but it works for us!
Salary DOE: The pay range for this position is $70k - $110k per year; however, base pay may be higher or lower depending on the candidate's job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This figure does not include additional compensation such as health benefits, vacation, 401k, etc.